Friday, November 7, 2008

Great Expectations for Obama

I was too young to get swept up in the Clinton election of '92 or what that meant after three terms of Republican presidents. This euphoria that has captured me seems to have intoxicated the nation and world with hope as well. Obama's got a lot of pressure on him and his aides are trying to slowly lower expectations (which I think is pretty funny: you spend two years building him up and then need two intense months of breaking those expectations down so he won't disappoint).

But I think Obama will be great. And not because he is the first African American President or what his presidency means, but because out of bleak times comes an opportunity for greatness. I believe he will make the presidency his own and find his own definition of greatness that will begin the long process of rebuilding our fractured hope.

No comments: