Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Wins: A note to my friends abroad

While abroad I was often sadden at how America and Americans were perceived and that the disconnect between the American people and the Bush Administration was often hard to make. There were many, many times during 2004-2006, in which I was pulled to the side after someone found out that I was American and was told some variance of the fact that "After 9/11 we completely supported you–we stood right behind you and would do anything for you, anything for America. But then ..." after which would follow a litany of reasons why they didn't/couldn't support America's foreign diplomacy (lack there of), the war, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield (I was always impressed by how many non-Americans could name the Bush Cabinet) and so on–all of which was said in earnest.

But all of this changes because we've got another chance. I have never felt that patriotism or kinship that nationalism is supposed to inspire. Yet, last night, for the first time, I did. As I watched the results come in with hundreds of other Obama volunteers, the sense of change and hope that was in the air was overwhelming. It might not seem like a huge deal, just one more election, but to me it's the mark of possibility: of what may be–of how great America can be when it has a great leader.

But mostly, I am thankful to President Obama and this election for making me realize that just when you think you don't even recognize the place you call home, something can surprise you, inspire you and bring you back to hope.

No comments: